Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5 to 7 minutes
3 Tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for deep-frying
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, chopped
500 g. (1lb. plus 2 oz.) fresh white crab meat, flaked
Pinch chile flakes
1 Tbsp. flat-leaf parsley
600 g. (1 lb. plus 5 oz.) boiled potatoes
Plain (all-purpose) flour, for dusting
2 eggs, beaten
150 g. (3 cups) fresh white bread crumbs
Alternative fish: salted cod
• Heat the oil in a frying pan or skillet, add the garlic and onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
• Add the crab meat, chile flakes and parsley, season with salt and cook for a few minutes.
• Remove from the heat and let cool.
• Pass the potatoes through a potato ricer into a bowl, add the crab mixture and mix gently.
• Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
• Lightly dust your hands with flour and shape the mixture into 4 patties.
• Lightly beat the eggs in a shallow dish and spread out the breadcrumbs in another shallow dish.
• Heat the oil for frying in a deep-fryer to 350 to 375 degrees, or until a cube of day-old bread browns in 30 seconds.
• Dip the crab cakes first into the beaten egg and then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
• Add to the hot oil and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until golden brown.
• Remove with a fish slice (spatula), drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
Tags : Crab