Black Walnut-Stuffed Squash
Ingredients1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
½ cup cous cous, prepared according to package directions with chicken broth
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
½ cup chopped shiitake mushrooms
¼ cup chopped carrots
¼ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. freshly minced sage
1 tsp. freshly minced thyme
2 handfuls fresh spinach greens
4 Tbsp. chopped black walnuts, divided
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Rub each half of the acorn squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Lay both halves on a foil-lined baking sheet, cut-side down, and bake for 30 minutes. Flip the squash and bake for another 20 minutes.
• Melt 1 tablspoon of butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute just until soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
• Add 2 more tablespoons of butter to the pan and add the carrots, celery and onions. Saute just until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, parsley and thyme. Saute for 1 minute. Add the spinach and saute just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat and combine with the mushrooms.
• Season the inside of each squash with salt, pepper and a little minced thyme and sage. Fill each squash with half of the couscous and filling and 2 tablespoons chopped black walnuts.
• Cover the squash halves with foil and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until easily pierced with a knife.
• Serve immediately.