Eggnog French Toast
Ingredients½ cup sugar
¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 10-oz. bag fresh cranberries
1 cup eggnog
2 pinches cinnamon
2 pinches nutmeg
1 pinch ground ginger
1½ Tbsp. butter
6 thick slices brioche
• Place the sugar, orange juice and 1½ cups of cranberries in a small pot. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the berries burst and the mixture thickens to a syrup-like consistency, about 8 minutes.
• Stir in the remaining cranberries and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fresh berries burst, about 3 minutes.
• Remove from heat and keep warm. If making ahead, let cool, then transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid and place in the refrigerator. Reheat before serving. THIS CAN BE MADE 1 DAY AHEAD.
• In a large, shallow bowl, combine the eggnog, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and whisk to combine.
• Heat ½ tablespoon of butter in a griddle over medium-high heat. When the butter foams, emerge 2 slices of brioche into the eggnog mixture and quickly place on the hot griddle. Let cook until browned on one side, about 2 to 4 minutes, then flip and brown the other side. Transfer to a small plate to keep warm and repeat with the remaining slices, adding an additional ½ tablespoon of butter with each batch.
• To serve, sift powdered sugar over the toast and top with a spoonful of warm cranberry-orange compote.