Kale "Caesar" Salad
FOR THE CROUTONS:
8 oz. day-old sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes and crust removed
½ Tbsp. half-cracked black peppercorns
2 Tbsp. olive oil
FOR THE DRESSING:
1 sheet kombu seaweed*, rinsed with cold water for 30 seconds and then roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
Juice of half a lemon
¾ cup light mayonnaise
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
FOR THE GREENS:
1 head romaine lettuce, leaves torn
1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
Shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• First, make the croutons: In a large bowl, combine the sourdough cubes, half-cracked peppercorns, olive oil and salt, making sure all of the bread is evenly coated. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until browned, turning halfway through cooking. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
• Meanwhile, make the dressing: Place the seaweed, garlic, mustard, Worchestershire, lemon juice, mayonnaise and 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan in a blender. Blend until the seaweed pieces are finely chopped.
• Remove the bowl from the blender base and place it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
• In a large bowl, combine the romaine and kale.
• Just before serving, add the dressing to taste, season with salt and pepper, and gently toss. Top with Parmesan shavings and black-pepper croutons.
* Available at Whole Foods, 1601 S. Brentwood Blvd., Brentwood, 314.968.7744, wholefoodsmarket.com
Tags : Kale