Nov 19, 2017

The Scoop: Haas Baking Co. calls it quits after 87 years

March 13th 10:03am, 2012

Haas Baking Co., a family-owned bakery known for St. Louis-specialty gooey butter cake, closed its doors for good last Friday. Haas began as a small shop in Soulard in 1925 and later moved operations to Affton, expanding to become one of the largest baked goods distributors in the St. Louis area, as well as a national distributor. As reported by KSDK and the St. Louis Business Journal, the company cited declining sales and the economy as reasons for the closure.

By Ligaya Figueras

Tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to “The Scoop: Haas Baking Co. calls it quits after 87 years”

1. Missy Says:
    March 13th, 2012 at 11:07 am

What a shame they closed. I would love their Gooey Butter Cake recipe!! :-)

2. Stuart Aizenberg Says:
    August 24th, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I worked with them for 19 years as I was the Trade Show Director for the biggest show in the vending and coffee service industries. I knew Joe Haas and a number of the great folks that worked with him over those years.

It’s a real shame that it had to come to this.

3. DENISE BABA Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I GIVE CREDIT TO ROBERT HAAS, HE WAS MY BOSS AT HAAS BAKERY. I LEARNED ALL OF BAKERY INDUSTRY FROM HAAS BAKERY. I AM GOING TO MISS HAAS AND FOR THEIR BAKERY GOODIES.

4. Larry Donahue Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 11:09 am

so sorry they closed, they made quality products at reasonable prices

5. carolyn Says:
    March 15th, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Please give out your recipes since Haas went out of business and people can continue enjoying them. Thank you. I know other readers would agree.

6. pam (mueth) moore Says:
    May 23rd, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Your final bite of a meal is weighted with much significance. Haas Bakery coffee cakes, gooey butter cake,and their cheese cakes have given many happy endings to many of our family dinners. Having moved away from St. Louis 32 years ago, it was Haas Gooey butter cake that I most looked forward to when visiting St. Louis.
    Haas Bakery was a great St. Louis Institution and this makes me very sad that I can no longer buy their
    products. Something inside me has died…so sad…

7. John Margroff Says:
    February 9th, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I represented Hass Baking in he New York market. I had the opportunity to meet Joe Haas and his sons and grand daughter and Al Scherr, the sales MGR. They were some of he best people you would ever want to meet. They were not only the boss, but good friends.

8. Beth Lindsey Says:
    November 11th, 2017 at 3:27 pm

I see everyone talking about the gooey butter cake, but I am almost certain that an absolute favorite of mine, a Banana Cake with Banana/Chocolate icing, was made by Haas also. Does anyone but me remember this one??