Aug 22, 2014

By the Book: I Love New York: Ingredients and Recipes

December 31st 03:12pm, 2013

122413_btb1

Contrary to our By The Book theme this month, I Love New York: Ingredients and Recipes is not a coffee-table book. And by that, I mean, a big, beautiful cookbook with recipes that are so difficult and involved that the book is better suited to adorn a table than become sauce splattered in the kitchen. In fact, authors Daniel Humm, chef of New York City’s famed Eleven Madison Park, and the restaurant’s general manager Will Guidara, state this claim explicitly, “When we were writing our first book, Eleven Madison Park: The Cookbook, we asked ourselves whether or not people would cook from it. And as it turned out, there was no simple answer: Plenty of people did cook from it with persistence and well-stocked kitchens. But plenty of others lovingly placed it on their coffee tables. With this book, though, we wanted the answer to be an emphatic yes.”

122413_btb2

With nearly 150 recipes, Humm and Guidara are right; this book can actually be used to cook. There’s even a “basic recipes” section in the back with staples like chicken stock and beef broth.

122413_btb3

From apples to oysters to walnuts, I Love New York is arranged by 55 ingredients grown in the region. Each ingredient comes several recipes along with a biography of one of the region’s farms where the ingredients are produced.

122413_btb4

Along with beautiful photos of ingredients and prepared dishes, recipes and stories, there are historical tidbits throughout the book like the background of the bloody mary and the Delmonico steak. (Did you know the legendary Delmonico’s restaurant in NYC opened in 1837 and was the first to have printed menus and a wine list?) Although this book is both informative and useful, it’s so pretty that if you’re into the look-but-don’t-touch category of cookbook buyers, no one would judge if your copy never made it to the kitchen.

Admit it; we all have “favorite” books that we have never actually read. I love the way my unfinished copy of Infinite Jest looks on my bookcase. What’s your favorite book that you’ve never actually read (cookbooks or any book)? Tell us about it in the comments section below for a chance to win a copy of I Love New York: Ingredients and Recipes. We’ll announce the winner in next week’s By the Book column.

And now, we’d like to congratulate Colleen, whose comment on last week’s By the Book column has won a copy of Marque. Colleen, keep an eye out for an email from the Sauce crew!

By Julie Cohen

Tags: , , , ,

17 Responses to “By the Book: I Love New York: Ingredients and Recipes”

December 31st, 2013 at 5:45 pm

My favorite book that i’ve never read would definitely be On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. I like knowing it’s there for me to read one day and learn lots of awesome foodie knowledge. :)

2. Tracy MacIntosh Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 11:31 am

So funny…my favorite is also On Food And Cooking by Harold McGee! In fact I have a copy of the original printing buried in a box in the basement, along with a copy of the newest printing on my cookbook shelf. As a “retired” chemist I consider it to be a reference book, occasionally glanced at but never read cover to cover!

3. Andrew Wind Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 11:38 am

Walk into my apartment and literally the first thing you see on my book shelf is Amy Vanderbilt’s Complete Book of Etiquette. It stands out because it’s the only bright white book on a shelf of black and grey volumes.

I have literally never read a word of this book, but people who come to my apartment now presume three things. First, they must behave well. Second, if they don’t, I’ll politely ask them to leave. And, most importantly, that I have the patience to read an 800-page volume, thanks to an intentionally creased and timeworn dust jacket.

I am a liar.

4. anna barklage Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 11:44 am

I have lots of cookbooks I have never read or just browsed through but I love having them on my bookshelf. I have a copy of Stone Soup Cottage. I only got to eat at the restaurant once but I would love to go again. I took a cooking class the chef/owner offered at Dierbergs and loved it, he was very entertaining. So that is one of many cookbooks I love owning. Even the cover is beautiful. I do love NYC so I would love to see/own that cookbook.Thanks!!

5. Lara Thiel Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Anna Karenina – my library feels complete with this tome. I will certainly love it when I ever actually read it!

6. T. Cannon Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Who doesn’t love NY? Yet, another book about its ingredients and recipes, puh-leeeease, give it to me:-))

7. Sandy Stolberg Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 12:35 pm

My favorite book that I’ve never *actually ” read is Mark Bitmann’s “How to Cook Everything”. Have flipped through it, but haven’t tackled it cover to cover yet. Maybe one day.

8. Tom S Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Would love a copy of this book to begin my cook book collection in my new house! Have been cooking in restaurants for 10+ years and always love to learn more.

9. Alex P Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I bought the World Atlas of Wine with the hope of formalizing my knowledge of wine — that never happened though. It’s a really beautiful book with maps, photos of vineyards, endless details about grapes and geography, but I can’t say I’ve sat down and read a full page. I have no hope of ever being an established sommelier, so it’s the potential of this book that I like about it, not necessarily the reality of me ever absorbing all its knowledge.

10. Cary Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 1:24 pm

The one book I have never read every page but have used many of the recipes and techniques,Carole Clements, Cook’s Companion: The Ultimate cooking course and Kitchen Encyclopedia.Even if I am not the winner, I recommend any one with a passion for cooking to find this book and add it to your library.

11. BRENDA MORRISON Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 1:44 pm

my daughter is a chef…this would be cool to add to her collection..;)

12. Kelsey T Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 1:46 pm

The French laundry cookbook! So pretty, and yet too complicated to ever want to try.

13. Jane G Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 1:59 pm

“How To Cook Everything” is the one book I haven’t completed. It’s just…too much!

14. alexis hendrickson Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 7:24 pm

my chemistry book…along with a lot of other college text book$ that have gone unread the past 5 years. I need some more cook books! hehe

15. Melinda Lawson Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I love all cookbooks and probablly have not read all of the ones I have. However, the one I do have that is really not cookbook but is about Chef’s is James Beard Foundations 25th Anniversary of Celebrated Chefs. My goal is to eat at each of their resturants or at least have a meal cooked by one of them…okay lofty but a fun challenge all the same.

16. Christine Daleo Says:
    January 7th, 2014 at 10:57 pm

I would be honored to add this to my cookbook collection, thank you

17. Kate D. Says:
    January 8th, 2014 at 7:28 am

I’ve had a copy of the Bible in every home in which I’ve ever lived, and have never dedicated any quality time to reading it. Funny!?