These broccolini melts are perfect for any meal or cut into smaller pieces for appetizers. Broccolini is similar to its cousin broccoli, but it has longer, thinner stems and a subtler flavor. Imagine gently sauteed, crunchy broccolini with garlic, onions and copious amounts of cheese, all atop a lovely piece of toast. It’s like a healthier version of grilled cheese. Customize with different types of bread and cheese, or make it extra decadent with an egg on top. Enjoy and happy baking!
1 lb. broccolini, chopped into 2-inch pieces
1 Tbsp. water
Kosher salt to taste
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 small or medium shallots, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, plus more to taste
⅓ cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
8 thin slices cheddar cheese
8 slices sturdy bread, toasted
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add the broccolini and water and season with salt. Cover with a lid or damp paper towel and microwave 2 to 3 minutes, until the broccolini is tender but crunchy. Drain well and pat dry, then chop into ½-inch pieces.
• In a saute pan, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until the garlic begins to brown. Add the broccolini and cook 2 minutes, seasoning with additional salt.
• Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add the balsamic vinegar, pecorino and red pepper flakes, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then arrange the bread. Evenly divide the broccolini mixture among the bread, the top each with a slice of cheddar. Bake 8 minutes, until the cheese melts and bubbles on top.