8 medium tomatoes
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 oz. goat cheese
½ cup mascarpone
1 tsp. fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
2 Tbsp. butter
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ cup breadcrumbs
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• Using a sharp serrated knife, cut a small slice off the bottoms of the tomatoes so they stand upright. Cut a circle around the stems at the tops and remove, then use a spoon to hollow out the tomatoes, leaving some flesh around the sides.
• Place the tomatoes in a baking dish, drizzle with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast until just soft, but still holding their shape, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes, then pour out excess liquid from the tomatoes.
• In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the goat cheese, mascarpone, thyme, salt and pepper. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Set aside.
• Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute about 1 minute. Add the breadcrumbs and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
• Divide the goat cheese mixture among the tomatoes, top with the breadcrumb mixture and garnish with thyme. Serve immediately.