Green Tomato Pissaladière
Ingredients1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds yellow onions, peeled and sliced ¼-inch thick
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves (or ¼ Tbsp. dried)
½ Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves (or ¼ Tbsp. dried)
1½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 medium-sized round green tomatoes
12 to 18 oil-packed anchovy fillets
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• On a silicone mat or floured surface, roll out the thawed puff pastry into a 10-by-15-inch rectangle and place it on a baking sheet covered with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Lightly score a ¾-inch border around the pastry with a paring knife and using a fork, pierce the dough in the center several times. Bake until just slightly golden, about 15 minutes.
• To make the topping, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Cook the onions, garlic, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are just turning golden brown, about 30 to 45 minutes.
• Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes as thinly as possible. A mandoline works best for this.
• When the pastry is baked, spoon the onions into the center, spreading them to the marked border.
• Arrange the tomato slices neatly on top of the onions. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the anchovies in a diamond pattern on top of the tomatoes.
• Bake until the tomatoes are tender and pastry is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.