1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup polenta
Pinch of salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon zest
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. honey
1 large egg
½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
½ cup mascarpone cheese
1 Tbsp. lime zest
1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Whisk together the flour, polenta and salt until completely combined; set aside.
• Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, egg and vanilla, and mix until combined.
• Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated. The dough will be wet and sticky.
• Transfer the batter to a cookie press or a pastry bag with a large star tip. Pipe 2- to 3-inch S-shapes onto parchment-lined cookie sheets, spaced at least ½ inch apart.
• Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, and cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
• In a metal bowl, whisk the mascarpone cheese, lime zest and powdered sugar until blended.
• Spread the filling over 12 of the cookies and top with the remaining 12 cookies.
* To make orange-polenta sandwich cookies with chocolate mascarpone filling, substitute orange zest and orange juice for the lemon in the cookies, and substitute 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder plus 1 Tbsp. half and half for the lime zest in the filling.