For the syrup:
½ cup light rum
½ cup Pama pomegranate liqueur
¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2/3 oz. fresh mint leaves
½ cup sugar
For the cupcakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. lime zest
1 Tbsp. finely chopped mint leaves
1½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
For the frosting:
½ stick unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp. sour cream
3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 Tbsp. Pama pomegranate liqueur
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 pomegranate (optional)
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Combine all of the syrup ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until you have about ½ cup of syrup. Strain out the mint leaves and set aside.
• For the cupcakes, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, lime zest and mint.
• In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs, sour cream and lime juice into the butter mixture until blended.
• Alternately fold in the flour mixture and syrup.
• Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean. Let cool.
• Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by mixing all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until smooth.
• When cooled, spread the frosting on the cupcakes. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, if desired.