3 2/3 cup water, plus more for heating the French press
2.1 ounces whole coffee beans
• Begin by boiling a large pot of water. Once the water has come to a boil, pour a small amount into a clean 32-ounce French press and swirl it around to warm the vessel.
• Once the French press is warmed, pour the hot water back into the pot and set the empty French press beneath a coffee grinder. Pour the coffee beans into the grinder and grind them into the French press.
• Pour 3 2/3 cups boiling water into the French press in a circular motion – being careful to wet all the grounds. Set a timer for 4 minutes and let the coffee steep, uncovered.
• When the time is up, take a flat spoon and break the crust that has formed on the top of the coffee. Give it a light stir and tip the French press ever so slightly into a bowl to remove any leftover crust. Carefully skim out any remaining grounds that rise to the top. There will still be some grounds at the bottom.
• Assemble the lid onto the top of the French press and slowly push down the plunger. If the plunger meets any resistance along the way, just back it up a bit and continue.
• Pour into a mug and enjoy.
To watch as Gelateria Tavolini's Jonathan Andrus takes you through a step-by-step video for brewing French press coffee at home, click here.