1½ lbs. bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 onions, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
½ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup maple syrup
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup brewed coffee
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• Cook the bacon pieces in a Dutch oven until browned. Transfer to a paper towel-lined bowl, reserving 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the Dutch oven.
• Add the onions and garlic to the Dutch oven and sauté in the reserved bacon fat for 8 to 10 minutes.
• Add the vinegar, maple syrup, brown sugar, coffee and pepper, and reduce heat to low. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, then return to medium-high heat and boil hard for 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add the bacon back into the mixture. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
• Pulse the mixture in a food processor until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
• Serve cold, room temperature or warm. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.