1 cup cashews
1½ cups water
1/3 cup cooked white or brown rice
1½ lbs. shrimp, shelled and chopped
½ tsp. paprika
Kosher salt to taste
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 6.5-oz. can clams, drained and clam juice reserved
3¼ cups fish stock
1 bay leaf
Freshly chopped parsley for garnish
Freshly ground black pepper to taste for garnish (optional)
• Prepare the cashew-rice cream: Rinse the cashews under running water, and then soak them in 1½ cups of water for 30 minutes. Place the cashews, soaking water and cooked rice in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
• Toss the chopped shrimp with paprika and salt to taste.
• Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until lightly brown. Remove the shrimp and set aside.
• Heat the remaining olive oil in the stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and sauté until soft and just beginning to brown.
• Add the tomato paste, reserved clam juice, fish stock, bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Bring the soup to just below boiling, then simmer on low heat, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Add the shrimp and clams into the pot and cook for another 10 minutes.
• Add the cashew-rice cream to the pot, pouring slowly and tasting as you go. (You might not need all of the cream.) Stir well and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
• Transfer the soup to a food processor or use an immersion blender and blend until creamy.
• To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with freshly chopped parsley and freshly ground black pepper, if desired.