1 large onion, skin removed
2 large carrots, peeled
2 celery stalks
1 red bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
¼ lb. okra
5 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 lb. Match Italian Sausage
1½ cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
2 tsp. freshly minced garlic
1 cup dark beer, such as Guinness
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
3 cups homemade Vegetable Stock (recipe here)
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh parsley
2 fresh bay leaves
½ tsp. Creole seasoning, plus more to taste
½ tsp. salt, plus more to taste
½ tsp. black pepper, plus more to taste
Hot pepper sauce for serving
• Chop the vegetables into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
• Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the Match Sausage and cook until it browns and crumbles, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
• Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. Add the chopped vegetables and saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon.
• Pour the remaining tablespoon of oil into the Dutch oven. Add the uncooked rice and stir until the oil coats the rice. Let the rice toast for 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
• Add the beer, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the Dutch oven with a wooden spoon.
• Add the tomato paste, stirring until well incorporated.
• Add the sauteed vegetables, Vegetable Stock, diced tomatoes and their juice, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, Creole seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
• Add the sausage, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from burning on the bottom.
• Adjust the seasoning to taste.
• Remove the bay leaves and sprigs of thyme and parsley.
• Serve immediately with hot sauce on the side.