Foie Gras Ice Cream
Ingredients1½ cups sugar, divided
4 oz. foie gras*, cut into small chunks just before using
1½ cups whole milk
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten just before using
2 cups cream
• Make an ice bath in a large bowl. Set aside.
• Add ¾ cup of sugar and a small amount of water to a stainless steel saute pan set over medium heat. Cook until the mixture turns a light amber, about 10 minutes.
• Add the foie gras and cook it on all sides until each piece is well-browned.
• Add the milk and remaining ¾ cup of sugar to the foie gras and stir until evenly incorporated. Bring the mixture to a boil.
• Whisking the eggs constantly, drizzle in a small portion of the hot milk-and-foie mixture until all of the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat of the pan with the remaining hot milk mixture to medium-low. Pour the heated, tempered eggs into the remaining hot milk mixture while stirring with a wooden spoon until the eggs are fully incorporated.
• Add the milk-and-foie mixture to a blender, then add the cream. Purée until very smooth. Pour the mixture through a mesh strainer into a bowl. Place the bowl over the ice bath to cool.
• Once the mixture is chilled, cover it with plastic wrap and let the base mature for a few hours in the refrigerator.
• Add the base to your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Keep frozen until ready to use.
* Available at The Smokehouse Market, 16806 Chesterfield Airport Road, Chesterfield, 636.532.3314, smokehousemarket.com