Broccoli Tahini-Caesar Salad
2 cups cubed, stale rustic bread
¾ cup avocado or other neutral oil, plus more for cooking
1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
¹∕³ cup tahini
¹∕³ cup water
Juice of 2 lemons
5 anchovy fillets, rinsed
1 garlic clove
2 Tbsp. drained capers
1½ lbs. broccoli crowns, cut into ¾-inch pieces
½ lb. Napa cabbage, about ½ a heart
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss the bread with about 2 tablespoons oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
• Spread the bread in an even layer on a ¼ sheet pan and bake until dried, toasty and browned, about 15 minutes. Let cool, then roughly chop and set aside.
• In a tall mixing cup or blender, combine the tahini, water, lemon juice, anchovy and garlic with an immersion blender or regular blender until well pureed. Stream in ¾ cup avocado oil to emulsify, then refrigerate until needed.
• To a medium saute pan on high heat, add the drained capers then about 2 tablespoons avocado oil. Fry until browned, puffed and crispy, about 1 minute. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
• Wipe out the pan and return to high heat. Add ¹∕³ of the broccoli then about 2 tablespoons avocado oil. Pan roast until slightly charred and barely cooked thought, about 45 seconds. Add salt to taste and transfer to a paper towel-lined, medium-sized bowl. Working in batches, repeat with the remaining broccoli.
• Remove the core and outer white stems of the Napa cabbage, then chop.
• In a large mixing bowl, combine the Napa cabbage, broccoli, capers, croutons and Parmesan. Dress with the tahini-Caesar to taste and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter and top with additional capers, croutons, dressing and Parmesan, if desired.
Tags : Broccoli