Knead's Classic Pecan Pie with Flaky Sourdough Crust
Courtesy of Knead Bakehouse + Provisions
“Make sure all your ingredients are cold to get the flakiest crust possible.” – Knead
Sourdough pie crust:
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1¼ cups cold butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. Knead sourdough discard
- 2 Tbsp. milk
Pecan pie filling:
- 2.5 firmly packed brown sugar
- 1¼ tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 large eggs
- 2.5 oz. water
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 2 cups pecans
For the pie crust:
• In a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, salt and cold cubed butter. Mix on slow to medium speed until mixture begins to look like moist sand with small and large pieces of butter throughout, about 2 to 3 mins. Add the eggs, Knead sourdough discard and milk and continue mixing until the dough just comes together. Divide the dough into two equal pieces, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the pie dough into a circle, about ⅛-inch thick. Place the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Any excess dough can be cut off or crimped to make a decorative edge around the pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate the panned pie crusts at least 4 hours or overnight to ensure they do not shrink while baking.
For the filling:
• In a bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the eggs, water and vanilla and whisk together until everything is wet and thoroughly combined. Slowly whisk in the grapeseed oil until incorporated. Set aside
For the pie:
• Preheat the oven to 350 degree.
• Place 1 cup pecans in each of the two pie crusts, then divide the filling evenly between the two.
• Bake pies on a baking sheet until the internal temperature reaches 200 degrees, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.