Russ and Daughters' Lox Chowder
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 medium leeks, diced, white parts only (roughly 2 cups)
2 small stalks celery, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large russet potato, peeled, cut into ½ inch cubes (roughly 2 cups)
2 tsp. fresh thyme, minced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup dry white wine
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 bay leaf
2 cups whole milk
4 oz. smoked salmon, flaked (use collar and wings if possible)
¾ cup heavy cream
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Minced fresh chives, for garnish
• Heat the olive oil and butter in a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat.
• Add the leaks, celery and carrot and saute until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
• Add the garlic, potato and thyme and saute until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. (Be careful not to brown the garlic.)
• Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir well to create a dry roux.
• Stir in the wine, chicken stock and bay leaf, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer until the potato cubes are tender when pierced with a fork, 30 to 35 minutes.
• Stir in the milk and salmon and return the mixture to a gentle simmer (do not boil).
• Remove and discard the bay leaf.
• Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Garnish with minced chives.