Roasted Local Trout Fillet Sandwich
11 oz. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for searing fish and grilling bread
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
6 thyme sprigs
10 basil leaves, divided
14 tarragon leaves, divided
4 8-oz. trout fillets, pin bones removed*
1 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 mint leaves
4 medium-size heirloom tomatoes, seeded and diced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices Companion Rustic Olive bread
½ cup cooked farro
Petite herb leaves (basil, tarragon, mint, fennel fronds), for garnish
2 oz. fennel, shaved very thin
Lemon zest, for garnish
• In a small bowl, mix 8 ounces of the oil with the garlic, thyme and 6 leaves each of the basil and tarragon to create a marinade.
• In a shallow dish, cover the fillets with the marinade and refrigerate 2 hours.
• In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice and remaining 3 ounces of olive oil to create a lemon vinaigrette.
• Finely chop 4 basil leaves, 8 tarragon leaves and 4 mint leaves and place in a large bowl. To the bowl, add the diced tomatoes, 3 ounces of the lemon vinaigrette and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
• Remove fillets from marinade. Pat dry.Heat a large pan over high heat. Add a light coat of oil to the pan and decrease the heat to medium-high. Add 2 fillets, skin-side down, searing until golden. Flip the fillets and turn off the heat. Remove fillets from the pan after 1 minute. Repeat with remaining fillets.
• Drizzle each slice of bread with oil and then season with salt and pepper. Grill the slices until lightly toasted.
• Mix the cooked farro with the tomato-herb salad. Drain excess juice.
• To assemble: Top each slice with a fillet, like an open-faced sandwich. Put an equal portion of tomato-farro salad on each plate; garnish with petite herb leaves. Toss the shaved fennel in with the remaining lemon vinaigrette. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish the sandwiches with the fennel. Garnish both the trout and the tomato-farro salad with lemon zest.
Tags : Tomatoes , Sandwiches , Trout , Farro