Greg and Lucy Malouf’s Feta-Creamed Spinach
3 bunches spinach, leaves only
1/3 cup (100 ml.) cream, 35 percent fat
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
¼ preserved lemon, rind only, finely diced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
½ tsp. red Turkish chili flakes
3 oz. (80 g.) feta, crumbled
2 Tbsp. (30 ml.) olive oil
• Blanch small batches of the spinach leaves in plenty of boiling, salted water for 10 seconds.
• Refresh in cold water and then squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Loosen the clumps of spinach and chop finely.
• Combine the cream and mustard in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
• Lower the heat and simmer until reduced by half, then add the Parmesan, preserved lemon and chopped spinach.
• Season with salt and pepper and stir in the chili flakes. Add the feta and cook over a high heat until the cheese begins to soften.
• Tip into a fine sieve and use the back of a spoon to gently press the creamy liquid back into the saucepan. Heat gently for a few minutes.
• Use dessert spoons to form the spinach into golf-ball sized balls and arrange on a warm serving dish.
• Pour the creamy sauce over and drizzle with olive oil.
Reprinted with permission from Hardie Grant Books