Pear and Pistachio Crisp
4 to 5 pears (Bosc or Anjou), peeled, cored and chopped (about 4 cups)
1¼ cups hulled salted pistachios, chopped, divided
¾ cup, plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cardamom
½ cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
½ Tbsp. lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
¼ tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• In a large bowl, combine the pears, 1 cup pistachios, 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, cardamom, brown sugar, maple syrup and lemon juice. Stir well.
• Pour the pear mixture into a greased 9-inch square baking pan.
• In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ¾ cup flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter. Stir until the mixture forms pea-sized lumps. Sprinkle over the pear mixture, then sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup pistachios.
• Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 15 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream.