Winslow's Home's Peach and Berry Pie
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
½ cup cake flour
½ cup + 2 tsp. granulated sugar, divided, plus more for sprinkling
2 large pinches kosher salt
16 Tbsp. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes and placed in freezer for 30 minutes
2 cups water
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
¼ cup light brown sugar
3 Tbsp. instant tapioca
¼ tsp. kosher salt
¾ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. ground ginger
7 large peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
1 cup fresh blackberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
2 Tbsp. apricot jam
1 egg, beaten for wash
• Pulse the flours, 2 teaspoons sugar and the salt in a food processor. With the food processor running, drop the butter in and pulse until coarse, pea-sized pieces of butter remain.
• Fill a large measuring cup with ice. Add the water and apple cider vinegar.
• Transfer the flour mixture to a work surface and slowly pour a little of the ice water-vinegar liquid over the flour, using your hands to help distribute and combine. Be very careful not to use too much water. Once the dough can be squeezed slightly together without falling apart, separate the dough into 2 equal halves. By hand, combine each mound into a rough round of dough. Wrap each round with plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the dough from the refrigerator.
• Combine the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, tapioca, salt and spices in a medium-sized mixing bowl. In a large mixing bowl, combine the peaches, berries and jam.
• Add the sugar mixture to the fruit and toss to combine. Set aside.
• Roll out one dough half into an 11-inch round. Line a pie pan with the dough and trim so there is 1 inch of overhang.
• Pour the filling into the bottom crust.
• Roll out the second half of dough into a 12-inch round. Cut 5 slits into the dough. Carefully transfer the top crust to cover the filling, and trim any overhang to match the bottom crust. Tuck the top crust under the bottom, and crimp with fingertips or a fork. Freeze 10 minutes.
• Brush the pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
• Bake 35 to 45 minutes (Note: Do not use the convection setting.), until golden brown and bubbly.
Tags : Peaches , Raspberries , Blackberries , Pie