The Art of Entertaining’s Perfect Turkey
¼ tsp. garlic salt
¼ tsp. dried basil
¼ tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. dried thyme
1/8 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp. dried rosemary
¼ tsp. dried sage
1 20- to 22-lb. turkey, giblets removed, rinsed and dried
½ cup (1 stick) butter
1 Tbsp. flour
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Create a turkey rub by mixing together the garlic salt, basil, oregano, thyme, poultry seasoning, pepper, rosemary and sage in a medium bowl. Set aside.
• Rub butter all over the turkey, inside and out, then rub the turkey down with the spice blend.
• Put the flour inside a roasting bag, close and shake. Place the prepared turkey inside the flour-coated bag and tie closed. Place the roasting bag in a roasting pan and cut 4 to 5 slits in the top of the bag. Roast 4 to 5 hours, until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reaches 165 degrees.
• Let the turkey rest 30 minutes before carving.
Tags : Turkey