Skirt Steak with Radishes
8 radishes with leaves
¼ cup water
2 Tbsp. butter
¼ tsp. kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1/8 freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1 cup arugula or baby spinach
Vegetable oil for greasing
1 to 1½ lb. skirt steak
• Prepare a charcoal grill for high, direct heat.
• Remove the radish leaves, coarsely chop them and set aside.
• Quarter the radishes and place them in a medium saucepot with the water, butter, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the radishes are fork tender, about 10 minutes. Add the mustard, half the minced garlic and radish leaves and simmer another 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the arugula to wilt and set aside.
• Season the steak with the remaining minced garlic, salt and pepper. Oil the grate and grill the steak 5 minutes, then flip and grill another 4 minutes for medium-rare. Let rest on a cutting board 3 to 5 minutes.
• Thinly slice the meat against the grain. Divide the radish mixture evenly among 3 to 4 plates, then top each with steak slices.