Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
4 to 5 lbs. butternut squash
1 lb. light brown sugar, divided
1∕4 tsp. cayenne
1∕4 tsp. chipotle powder
1∕4 tsp. cinnamon
1∕4 tsp. allspice
1∕4 tsp. ground fresh nutmeg
Olive oil for sautéing
3 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 Tbsp. minced ginger
2 cups diced onion
2 cups diced carrots
1 quart vegetable stock
1 quart heavy cream
2 to 3 tsp. Cholula hot sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped chives for garnish
• Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
• Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds; reserve the seeds.
• Spray a rimmed cookie sheet liberally with cooking spray. Combine half of the brown sugar with the cayenne, chipotle powder, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg; sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over the
• Place the squash on the sheets cut side down; prick the squash a few times with a fork and roast for 50 to 60 minutes.
• Scoop out the roasted pulp and reserve, along with any liquid from the sheets.
• Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
• Rinse the squash seeds in cold water and pat them dry. Season with olive oil and salt, spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 10 to 12 minutes.
• Heat the oil in a large stockpot. Sauté the garlic and ginger over medium-high heat for 3 or 4 minutes.
• Add the carrots and onions and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes until they are softened.
• Add the squash pulp, roasting liquid and remaining ingredients except salt, pepper, squash seeds and chives, and stir. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
• Allow the soup to cool slightly and purée with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender or food processor. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with chopped chives, toasted squash seeds and grated fresh nutmeg.
Tags : Butternut squash , Heavy cream