Sweet Potato Croquettes
1 Tbsp. canola oil, plus more for cooking
¼ cup finely diced carrots
½ cup finely diced white onion
1 Tbsp. finely diced fresh jalapeno, seeds and pith removed
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. minced garlic
1½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
¼ tsp. ras al-hanout spice blend, plus more to taste
¼ tsp. turmeric
2 packed cups baked sweet potato, skins removed (about 1½ lbs. potatoes)
½ cup cooked white corn kernels
¼ cup plain breadcrumbs
½ cup flour
½ cup whole milk or soy milk
½ cup cornmeal
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup creme fraiche or vegan sour cream
2 Tbsp. fresh dill, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
• In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon canola oil and saute the carrots 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the jalapeno and saute 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and add the coriander, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, ras al-hanout and turmeric. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
• Add the sweet potato, corn and plain breadcrumbs to the bowl and mix until well-combined. Taste and adjust seasonings, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
• Line up 3 small bowls; add the flour to the first, the milk to the second, and combine the cornmeal, panko, black pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in the third. Form a 1-inch ball of cold sweet potato mixture, then lightly flatten to create a patty. Dredge the patty in the flour, dip it in the milk, then coat it with the cornmeal mixture and move it to a plate. Repeat with the remaining sweet potato mixture.
• In a skillet over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons canola oil. Working in batches, arrange the patties in a single layer and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until browned on the bottom. Flip, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, until the other side is browned. Transfer the croquettes to a paper towel-lined plate. Wipe out the skillet with another paper towel, add another 2 tablespoons canola oil and repeat the process until all the croquettes are cooked.
• In a small bowl, combine the creme fraiche, dill and lemon juice. Serve on the side as a dip.
Tags : Sweet potato