Cauliflower with Mustard Brown Butter
1 head cauliflower
²∕³ cup plus 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
½ cup drained large capers, divided
¾ cup coarse breadcrumbs, preferably fresh
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
10 Tbsp. butter
½ cup whole-grain mustard
6 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup roughly chopped parsley
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• Place the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the broiler.
• Trim the cauliflower, cut into small florets and mince the stems.
• On a baking sheet, toss the cauliflower florets with 2 tablespoons oil and salt and pepper to taste. Broil until charred and tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
• In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat ¹∕³ cup oil. Add ¼ cup capers and fry until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the capers to a paper towel-lined plate. Add the breadcrumbs and pepper flakes to the skillet and saute until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
• Reduce the heat to medium, wipe the skillet clean and add the butter. Cook, whisking frequently. The butter will foam, then subside. Watch carefully as brown specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan, so it doesn’t burn. When the specks are deep golden brown and the butter has a nutty aroma, about 4 minutes, stir in the mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl.
• Increase the heat to medium-high and add the remaining ¹∕³ cup oil to the skillet. Add the cauliflower stems, garlic and salt and pepper to taste, and saute until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the charred florets and mustard butter and toss to coat. Stir in the breadcrumbs. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining ¼ cup capers and parsley.
Tags : Fast & Easy