Everything-Cheddar Corn Muffins
This recipe can also be made as cornbread – simply bake in a 9-by-12-inch pan 20 to 25 minutes.
2½ cups flour
1½ cups cornmeal
1 Tbsp. Everything Spice Blend (recipe here)
1 Tbsp. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. baking soda
2¼ cups buttermilk
½ cup butter (1 stick), melted
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease or line 2 12-cup muffin tins.
• In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, spice blend, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add the buttermilk, butter and eggs, and stir until barely combined. Gently fold in the cheddar. The batter may have some lumps.
• Use 2 spoons or an ice cream scoop to distribute the batter evenly into the muffin tins.
• Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.
• Serve immediately or store for several days in an airtight container.