Grace Meat & Three's Smoked Burgers
2 lb. 50-50 ground brisket and top round or 80-20 ground beef
1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. seasoning salt
4 slices white cheddar cheese
4 brioche buns
Caramelized Onions, to taste (recipe here)
Pickles, to taste
Comeback Sauce, to taste (recipe here)
• Prepare a charcoal grill for low, indirect heat. Soak a small chunk of oak or hickory wood in water.
• In a large bowl, mix the beef with the pepper and seasoning salt. Evenly divide the meat into 4 8-ounce portions.
• Add the soaked wood atop the coals. Smoke the patties over indirect heat until they reach an internal temperature of 135 degrees, 30 minutes. Remove the meat and set aside.
• Add fresh charcoal to the grill and arrange the coals for high, direct heat.
• Sear the meat over direct heat 2 minutes, then flip and sear 1 minute. Add the cheese to each patty and melt 1 minute, until the internal temperature of the burger reaches 145 degrees.
• Assemble the burgers atop the buns with the onions, pickles and Comeback Sauce to taste.