Simone Faure's Southern 7UP Cake
“Every black family in New Orleans does 7UP cake for the holidays. My mother was an avid baker, and she would always have 7UP cake. I had friends in college who would request it if they came home for the holidays.” – Simone Faure
Ingredients3 cups granulated sugar
¾ lb. (3 sticks) butter, softened
3 cups self-rising flour
4 Tbsp. lemon juice, divided
¾ cup 7UP
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. milk
• Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
• In a stand mixer on medium speed, cream the granulated sugar and butter until light and fluffy, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
• On low speed, add the flour and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
• Use a rubber spatula to fold in the 7UP, then pour the batter into the bundt pan.
• Bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
• Let cool on a wire rack completely before removing the cake from the pan.
• Meanwhile, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice to make a glaze. Drizzle atop the cooled cake before serving.