Serve this as an appetizer or simple dinner.
1 eggplant, sliced into 1-inch rounds
Olive oil, for brushing and drizzling
1 Tbsp. za’atar, plus more to taste
1 baguette, halved lengthwise
1 cup arugula, torn into small pieces
½ cup chopped hothouse cucumber
4 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. chopped mint
2 Tbsp. thinly sliced preserved lemon (or 1 Tbsp. lemon zest and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice)
1 tsp. cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup hummus
• Prepare a grill for high, direct heat, or preheat the broiler.
• Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil and sprinkle with the za’atar. Grill the eggplant over direct heat 2 to 3 minutes per side, or broil 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
• Brush the cut side of the baguette with oil and grill or broil until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cut into 4-inch pieces.
• Dice the reserved eggplant into ½-inch pieces. In a large bowl, combine the eggplant with the arugula, cucumber, sun-dried tomatoes, mint, preserved lemon and cumin. Drizzle with additional olive oil and toss well. Season to taste with salt, pepper and additional za’atar.
• Divide the hummus evenly over the baguette pieces and spoon the eggplant mixture on top. Serve at room temperature.