Buttermilk adds a lovely tang to traditional coleslaw. It’s a great way to use up that buttermilk in your fridge. (Pro tip: If you don’t have buttermilk, make your own by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice to 1 cup whole milk.)
- 6 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 6 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1½ Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
• In a large bowl, combine the green and red cabbage, carrot and onion and toss with a large pinch of kosher salt. Set aside.
• Whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar and sugar. Pour over cabbage mixture and season generously with black pepper. Toss to combine and season with more salt and pepper as desired.
• Transfer to refrigerator and let rest 30 minutes or up to 3 days before serving.
Tags : Cabbage