Vegan Black Bean Soup
1 lb. black beans, divided
3 quarts vegetable stock
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
1 medium onion, diced
1 bulb fennel, minced
1 whole chipotle pepper
1 bay leaf1 tsp. ground cumin or to taste
1 tsp. Warsonswood Jamaican Jerk Seasoning*
1 tsp. ground allspice1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tsp. dried ground or minced fresh ginger
Sea salt to taste
1 oz. rum or dry sherry (optional)
• Cover the black beans with cold water and let soak 6 to 8 hours. Discard the water and rinse the beans thoroughly after soaking.
• Cook the beans in the vegetable stock and tomato paste over medium heat until soft. Remove from heat. Divide the beans in half. In small batches, process half the beans to a mash in a food processor.
• Combine the reserved beans with the mashed beans in a heavy stockpot or Dutch oven. Add the onion, fennel, chipotle pepper, bay leaf and remaining spices.
• Cook until the beans are tender.
• Add sea salt to taste when the beans have finished cooking.
• If desired, add a shot of rum or dry sherry to deepen the flavors.
*Available at Jay International Food in South City.