Broadway Oyster Bar's Oysters Bienville
1 cup heavy cream
2 oz. fresh shrimp shells
4 Tbsp. butter, divided
4 Tbsp. diced onion or shallot
2 Tbsp. freshly chopped garlic
2½ tsp. Marsala wine
¾ cup diced mushrooms
1/3 cup diced fresh shrimp
1½ tsp. Cajun spice
1½ tsp. paprika
1 tsp. sea salt (preferably sel gris)
2 Tbsp. flour
12 oysters, preferably Blue Point
Grated Parmesan cheese
For the sauce
• Heat the cream, pour it over the shrimp shells and let steep for 30 minutes.
• Strain and discard the shells, keeping the cream warm.
• Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add the onion or shallot and cook until slightly tan. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic.
• Deglaze the pan with the Marsala. Add the mushrooms, shrimp, Cajun spice, paprika and sea salt and cook until the mushrooms are soft and flavors are well-developed, about 4 to 6 minutes.
• Create a blond roux by cooking the flour and remaining 2 Tbsp. of butter for about 4 or 5 minutes till it is golden.
• Add the reserved cream to the mushroom mixture and bring to a boil. Add the blond roux, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
For the oysters
• Preheat the broiler.
• Shuck the oysters, placing them on the half shell face up under the hot broiler.
• Once the oysters start to curl on the sides (about 1 minute), remove from the broiler and spoon the sauce over the oysters.
• Place the oysters back under the broiler and cook until the sauce bubbles.
• Remove from the broiler and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place the oysters back under the broiler for a minute or two until the cheese is browned.