Fried Green Tomatoes
Ingredients1 cup cornmeal
1½ Tbsp. Cajun seasoning
1 tsp. kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
½ tsp. dried thyme
Canola oil for frying
3 medium-sized round green tomatoes, sliced ½-inch thick
Grated Parmesan cheese to taste (optional)
• Shake the cornmeal and seasonings in a plastic bowl with a lid (or use a large plastic storage bag).
• Heat about 1/8-inch canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
• Add 4 to 6 tomato slices to the breading mix and shake to coat.
• Fry the slices in the hot oil until the cornmeal browns, turning once, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
• Remove from the oil, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate or baking tray, and sprinkle with salt while they are still hot. Top with grated cheese before serving, if desired.