1 lb. andouille sausage, small dice
1 yellow onion, small dice
1 red bell pepper, small dice
1 green bell pepper, small dice
1 poblano chile, small dice
1 to 2 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
6 16-oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 pint heavy cream
1 Tbsp. Creole spice mix (recipe follows)
1½ lbs. lasagna noodles (about 18 noodles)
8 oz. ricotta cheese
2½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese, shredded
1¼ cups shredded Parmesan cheese
1 lb. crawfish tails
Creole Spice Mix
2 Tbsp. celery salt
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. thyme
1 Tbsp. sweet paprika
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1½ tsp. black pepper
1½ tsp. white pepper
1½ tsp. chili powder
• Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Store in an airtight container.
• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
• Make the sauce: In a large pot, sauté the sausage, onion, bell peppers and poblano in the oil until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
• Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by about a fourth, stirring frequently.
• Add the cream and spice mix and bring the sauce back to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
• Cook the lasagna noodles until al dente according to package directions.
• Assemble the lasagna: Spread ¾ cup sauce on the bottom of a 13-by-9-by-2-inch casserole dish. Lay 3 lasagna noodles lengthwise on top of the sauce, then add another ¾ cup sauce. Dot ¼ of the ricotta on top of the sauce, then evenly sprinkle ½ cup shredded mozzarella, ¼ cup shredded Parmesan and ¼ of the crawfish over the ricotta.
• Repeat this process to create three more layers of the lasagna, alternating the direction of the lasagna noodles in each layer like a crosshatch pattern, trimming the noodles when necessary to fit the pan.
• For the final fifth layer, top with lengthwise noodles, cover with sauce and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
• Cover the pan with a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil.
• Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and plastic. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the top of the lasagna is browned.