Cress and Citrus Salad
Ingredients1 pink grapefruit
1 Cara or navel orange
1 apple (Pink Lady, Jazz or Granny Smith)*
4 cups mixed baby salad greens
1 cup cress stems and leaves
1½ Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. lime juice
½ tsp. Dijon or Champagne mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
• Peel and section the grapefruit and the orange, removing the membrane from each segment. Core and thinly slice the apple. Toss the apple with the orange and grapefruit sections in a large bowl and set aside.
• Wash and dry the salad greens. Wash the cress, place on a single layer on a paper towel and roll the towel to dry. Pinch off any wilted leaves or stems from the cress. Place the lettuce on 4 salad plates. Top with the cress, stems to the center and leaves to the edge.
• Top the lettuce leaves with a mound of the mixed fruit.
• Whisk the olive oil, lime juice and mustard together in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over the salad.
* A sliced avocado in place of the apple is also good.