The best way to eat this dish is right from the pan. Grab a slice or chunk of bread,
then dip and scoop. It’s great participatory food.
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 cups fresh or 1 handful dried morels, reconstituted (keep the liquid)
2 cups cream*
Salt and pepper to taste
Marsala to taste
1 loaf bread
• Melt the butter and sauté the shallots in a saucepan for a few minutes.
• If using dried morels, reconstitute. Cut them into pieces, but not too small. Squeeze out the morel liquid and save. Add the morels to the shallots and sauté for a few minutes. Add the morel liquid, being careful not to pour in the sediment that has fallen to the bottom.
• If using fresh morels, cut each one in half lengthwise. Pick out the bugs and dirt and wash only if necessary. If you have large morels cut them into smaller pieces, but not too small. Add the morels to the sautéed shallots and sauté for a few minutes.
• Cook the morels until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated.
• Add the cream and cook for a few minutes.
• Add salt and pepper to taste. Add Marsala to taste.
* You can use half-and-half if you want, but the cream makes it absolutely superb.
Tags : Mushrooms