JFires Market Bistro’s Grilled Tomato and Oyster Mushroom Salad
2 Purple Cherokee tomatoes
1 lb. oyster mushrooms, cleaned and separated
1 large sprig fresh hot and spicy oregano, cleaned and destemmed
6 to 8 fresh Thai basil leaves, cleaned
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. kosher salt
• Preheat the grill to 250 degrees.
• Slice the tomatoes at least 1 inch thick and set them in a large bowl.
• Place the oyster mushrooms in the bowl.
• Using a very sharp knife, stack the oregano and basil leaves on top of each other and slice into thin strips. Sprinkle over the oyster mushrooms and tomatoes.
• Drizzle the olive oil over the mixture in the bowl.
• Place the garlic clove and salt together on chopping board. Use the side of the knife to make a paste of the garlic and salt, chopping and smashing until you’ve got a minced, juicy combination. Add the garlic mash to the bowl.
• Gently combine the ingredients, making sure they are completely mixed.
• Place the tomatoes and oysters on the grill, using a spatula to coat the vegetables with the herbs and garlic.
• Grill each piece for 30 seconds to 1 minute per side.
• Serve immediately.