Ingredients4 Tbsp. vegetable, canola, sunflower or any cooking oil, divided
½ cup cashews, broken into pieces
2 medium-sized onions, chopped and puréed
2 tsp. garlic paste
1 tsp. ginger paste
3 tomatoes, chopped and puréed
1 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. ground turmeric
½ tsp. red chile powder
1 tsp. garam masala
1 cup warm water
1 cup peeled, cubed potato, parboiled
12 to 15 french beans, parboiled
2 medium carrots, chopped and parboiled
½ cup green peas, parboiled
1 cup cauliflower florets, parboiled
1 medium-sized green bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into 1-inch squares
6 to 8 raisins
3 Tbsp. heavy cream
Salt to taste
• Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a deep pan over medium heat. Add the cashews and fry till slightly dark. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
• In the same pan, heat the remaining cooking oil. Add the onion and sauté till slightly browned.
• Add the garlic and ginger pastes and sauté for 1 minute. Now add the tomatoes and sauté for another minute.
• Add all the spices and sauté until the oil begins to separate. Stir often to keep the masala from sticking to the pan and burning.
• Add 1 cup of warm water and mix well. Cook for 1 minute.
• Add all of the parboiled vegetables, green pepper, fried cashews and raisins. Mix gently but well, making sure the vegetables do not mash or break. Cook until the veggies are cooked but not mushy.
• Add the cream, season with salt to taste, stir and remove from the heat.
• Serve with hot naan or basmati rice.