Grand Marnier French Toast With Orange-Cardamom Butter
2 Tbsp. green cardamom
1 Tbsp. coriander
¼ cup water
¼ cup sugar
1 stick butter at room temperature, plus 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
½ cup cream
1/3 cup Grand Marnier
6 thick slices brioche
• Zest the oranges and reserve. Supreme the oranges: Slice off a small section from each end of the orange. Stand the orange on a flat end and remove the rind and pith with a knife, cutting in long strips. Remove each section by cutting to the right and the left of each membrane. Set aside.
• Combine the spices, water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let steep until the mixture is cool.
• Combine the syrup with the stick of butter and the orange zest and refrigerate until ready to use.
• Beat together the eggs, cream and Grand Marnier.
• Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan.
• Immerse each slice of bread in the egg mixture and transfer to the pan. Fry in batches, flipping once and adding the remaining tablespoon of butter as needed, until both sides are lightly golden.
• Place a slice of French toast on a plate, dust it with powdered sugar and top with the orange supremes and a dollop of orange-cardamom butter.