Veggieballs e Ceci
1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, plus 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained, divided
1 Tbsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
½ cup half and half
1 medium onion, quartered
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 eggs, whisked gently
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup panko
• First make the creamy red sauce: Combine the tomato sauce, 1 undrained can of diced tomatoes, sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt and half and half in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until the flavors blend and the sauce thickens, approximately 5 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Sauté the onion in olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Cool to room temperature.
• In a large bowl, combine the onion, the drained can of diced tomatoes, ¼ teaspoon salt and remaining ingredients; transfer to a food processor fitted with the chopping blade.
• Working in batches, pulse the chickpea mixture until it is minced, not puréed. Drain any excess liquid.
• Press the mixture firmly into 1½-inch balls (It’s OK if it feels really wet).
• Coat a glass dish with cooking spray and bake for 30 minutes. Allow the veggieballs to stand 5 minutes before serving with creamy red sauce and cooked spaghetti noodles.