Ingredients1 to 2 large pears
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1½ Tbsp. honey
Juice of half a lemon
1 9-inch pie crust, store-bought or homemade (recipe follows)
Splash heavy cream
2 Tbsp. coarse, turbinado sugar (available at Trader Joe’s)
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Using a sharp knife or mandolin, slice the pears very thinly. Combine the pear slices in a bowl with the vanilla, honey, cardamom, nutmeg and lemon juice.
• Roll the pie crust out into a 9-inch oval on a large sheet of parchment paper.
• Arrange the pears in a circle atop the crust, leaving 2 inches around the edges. Fold the crust over and pinch over the pears.
• Brush the crust with some heavy cream and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top.
• Bake for 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the fruit is soft.
• Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or frozen yogurt.