John Besh's Pickled Vegetables
½ tsp. salt
1 lb. baby carrots, radishes or beets, peeled
1 cup sugar
1 cup rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. Zatarain’s Crab Boil seasoning or 1 tsp. each of mustard seeds, coriander seeds and black peppercorns
• In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil along with the salt.
• Add the peeled vegetables and blanch for no longer than 2 minutes. Remove the vegetables with a slotted
• Add the sugar, vinegar and spices to the pot and bring just to a boil.
• Fill canning jars with the blanched vegetables and pour in enough cooking liquid to fill the jars.
• Cool, then cover and store in the refrigerator where they’ll last for a couple of weeks.