Salmon with Cauliflower Steak and Brown Butter Sauce
Ingredients1 head cauliflower
8 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
10 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
½ tsp. freshly chopped garlic
½ carrot, peeled and diced
¼ head green cabbage, diced
¼ red bell pepper, diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 salmon filet, 2-inches wide, 1-inch thick, 6-inches long, skin removed
2 Tbsp. capers, drained
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. freshly chopped parsley
• Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
• First, cut the cauliflower into a “steak”: Using a sharp, heavy knife and starting at the top center of the cauliflower head, cut a 1-inch-thick slice of cauliflower, cutting through the stem end. Set the cauliflower “steak” aside. Reserve the rest of the cauliflower for another use.
• Add 4 tablespoons of oil and 4 tablespoons of butter to a saute pan set over medium heat. When the oil and butter are warm, add the garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
• Add the carrots, cabbage, peppers, and salt and pepper to taste. Saute for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
• Add 2 tablespoons of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to a saute pan set over high heat. Add the cauliflower and let it brown for 1 minute. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds on the other side. Transfer to the oven and let it cook for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
• Next, prepare the salmon: Cut the filet in half lengthwise, so you have 2 filets that are 1-inch wide, 1-inch thick and 6-inches long. Form 1 filet into a “c” shape, and make the other filet into a tighter “c” shape. With the two “c” shapes facing one another, tuck the small “c”-shaped filet tightly inside the larger “c”-shaped filet so that they make a medallion. Tie a piece of kitchen twine around the medallion. Season all sides of the salmon with salt and pepper.
• Add 2 tablespoons of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to a saute pan set over medium heat. Place the salmon in the pan and let it cook for 1 minute. Flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Immediately transfer the salmon to the oven and let it cook for 1 minute for medium doneness. Remove from the oven and set aside.
• Add the capers to a saute pan set over high heat and toast for 1 minute. Add 4 tablespoons of butter and let it cook until it browns, about 30 seconds. Add the lemon juice and parsley and immediately remove from heat.
• To serve, place the cauliflower steak in the middle of the plate. Place all of the vegetables to the left of the cauliflower, and the salmon to the right. Spoon some of the brown butter sauce over the fish and some around the plate.
• Serve immediately.