Make these tostones con aguacate from Mayo Ketchup
Tostones con Aguacate (Twice-Fried Green Plantains with Avocado)
Courtesy of Mayo Ketchup’s Mandy Estrella
For the pickled red onion:
1 large or 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
¹∕³ cup sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp. whole allspice
For the tostones:
2 green plantains
2 cups vegetable or canola oil
Sea salt, for sprinkling
3 ripe avocados
1 tsp. lime juice
½ tsp. salt
Cilantro, for garnish
Lime wedges, for garnish
For the pickled onions:
• Place the sliced onions in a glass jar or bowl.
• In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, garlic and allspice over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the salt and sugar dissolve. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
• Pour the brine over the onions. Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
For the tostones:
• Trim the ends off each plantain, cut through the tough outer peels lengthwise top-to-bottom and remove. Slice into 1-inch rounds.
• Add the oil to a large, heavy-bottomed skillet (it should fill about ¹∕³ the skillet), and place over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the plantains and fry until softened and golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
• Place the fried plantains on a cutting board or plate and gently smash and flatten each piece with the bottom of a glass or plate.
• Increase the heat to medium-high and return the smashed plantains to the oil, frying until crispy, about 1 minute per side. Place on a paper towel-lined plate or cooling rack and sprinkle with sea salt.
• Prepare the avocados by cutting them in half, removing the pits, scoring the flesh into cubes and scooping into a small bowl. Add the lime juice and salt and slightly smash with a fork until the avocado mixture is chunky but combined.
• Plate the plantains, top each with 1 to 2 tablespoons avocado mixture and 2 to 3 slices of red onion. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
Readers' Choice Favorite Latin American
Mayo Ketchup, 2001 Park Ave., St. Louis, plantaingirl.com
Tags : Recipes, Restaurants, Readers' Choice
More stories like this
5 pie recipes from St. Louis bakers to try this Thanksgiving
Discover new classics and old favorites from some of our favorite local bakers that will have ...
Make this summer corn salad courtesy of Nexus’ Ceaira Jackson
This salad easily becomes a salsa – just add tortilla chips!
Lousies on the Loop has closed permanently in University City
Lousies on the Loop has announced it is closing permanently with immediate effect. ...
Friendship Brewing Co.’s new location in Flint Hill opens this weekend
Friendship Brewing Co.’s newest location, called Friendship Fli-Hi as an homage to surrounding ...