Make this vegan cauliflower lahmacun from Balkan Treat Box
“This is a vegetarian/vegan version of a classic lahmacun with a healthy, meat-free twist that we serve at Balkan Treat Box.” – Loryn Nalic
Courtesy of Balkan Treat Box’s Loryn Nalic
½ head cauliflower
1 small onion, thinly sliced
½ red bell pepper, chopped
5 sprigs parsley, plus more for garnish
Leaves from 5 sprigs mint, plus more for garnish
¼ cup red pepper paste or tomato paste
3 Tbsp. butter, melted and browned
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. Aleppo pepper or red chile flake
½ tsp. smoked paprika
¼ tsp. cayenne
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp. sumac, plus more to taste
Lemon wedges, for serving
Strained full-fat yogurt, for serving
• Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Cut the cauliflower into florets, reserving thick stems for another use.
• In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until it resembles couscous, about 30 seconds. Add about half the sliced onion, the red bell pepper, parsley, mint, red pepper paste, browned butter, garlic, cumin, Aleppo pepper, paprika, cayenne, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Pulse until combined, finely chopped and slightly tacky. Season with more salt and pepper, to taste.
• Spread about ¼ cup cauliflower mixture over each pita so it thinly and evenly covers the surface all the way to the edge. Arrange pitas on a baking sheet and bake until browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
• In a small bowl, toss the remaining onion with the sumac until tinted red, season lightly with salt and more sumac, to taste.
• Garnish with more fresh herbs and serve alongside the sumac onions, yogurt and lemon wedges. Cauliflower lahmacun can be served hot or at room temperature.
Readers' Choice Favorite Bosnian and Favorite Mediterranean
Balkan Treat Box, 8103 Big Bend Blvd., Webster Groves, balkantreatbox.com
Tags : Recipes, Restaurants, Readers' Choice
More stories like this
5 pie recipes from St. Louis bakers to try this Thanksgiving
Discover new classics and old favorites from some of our favorite local bakers that will have ...
Make this summer corn salad courtesy of Nexus’ Ceaira Jackson
This salad easily becomes a salsa – just add tortilla chips!
Red Bird Vegan will open on South Grand in Tower Grove South this summer
Red Bird Vegan will open at 3117 S. Grand Blvd. in Tower ...
St. Louis-based Southside Alchemy receives award for bloody mary mix
St. Louis-based bloody mary mix producer Southside Alchemy was among the winners at an ...